Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Death

I received a call from my sister yesterday telling me that a close friend has passed away.
Well, it was April's fool day. I was really hoping that all this would be a big joke and she would call me back and tell me that Dennis was still alive. But sadly that second call never came.

Dennis is know to play pranks on people. He was known to be a joker and a man with a big heart. My heart grieved for him more than I expected to. I was sadden to hear the news, but more so that he probably left the world without knowing Christ. That I never did had a chance to share that part of my life with him.

I know him as my sister's friend. But came to know him a bit better when I visited him in Adelaide during my uni days in Australia. I took a bus to Adelaide and was warmly welcomed by this small, little man. A gregarious man who was generous beyond most Aussies. He invited both my housemate and I to his humble home. He had many friends, we visited many of the farms owned by Dennis' friends. I even drove in his old Ford Falcon. Boy, the first time I drove...

Yes, he had been my very first driving instructor and a good one at that. My sister was still talking about Dennis making a trip here with his wife. I was thinking then I could drive them around and repay his kindness and taking them sightseeing.

I guess I will never have a chance to do that now. Such is life, you let things slip you by and there goes the chance.

No comments: